The “Official” list of things I was thankful for in 2007 (as included in our non-obnoxious Christmas letter):
1. The Saskatchewan Roughriders finally, finally won the Grey Cup, justifying over 10 years of love and devotion.
2. I finally made it to Vancouver. Twice.
3. I got to watch an old pal get married, and got to hook up (no, not like that) with some old friends at the same time.
What I was really, really thankful for this year:
1. My daughter started sleeping through the night. From April 2006 to May 2007, I had never slept for more than 3 hours at a stretch. I will never be the same again. But I’m getting better.
2. There will be no more children. No “Uh-oh’s”. No “Woops’s!” I love my babies. I know my limits.
3. Facebook. Yes, it has its own set of inherent evils. For every 2 people I am ecstatic to have reunited with, there has been at least 1 holy hell annoying person I’m too nice to say fuck off to. I realize shadowy groups of people have pieces of my personal information (I gave it to them. I totally needed to find out what my stripper name would be). But damn, I love it. I found people I really, truly missed. It’s easy to keep up with distant friends, without having to actually (gasp!) talk to them. And I got an apology from a boy who screwed me over in Grade 12. Victory is mine!
4. The good bra store a friend told me about. Gravity and time are twin bitches. These bras do their bit to help.
5. I broke up with a truly toxic friend. There is no protocol for these situations. I did it anyway. So worth it.
6. The writing class I took. It got me back on track, got me sending stuff out, got me thinking.
7. This blog. Turns out they’ll give one of these things to any crackpot…. Seriously, this has been an amazing experience. Writing for an audience, that may or may not ever read this has been a step towards considering myself a writer.
Have a wonderful last night of 2007!